The Veisiejai Regional Park Visitor Centre has an exhibition titled Life Between the Waters about the 37 bodies of water located in Veisiejai Regional Park – ranging from small streams to lakes. The visitor centre is located in a beautiful historical area, to the right of the former Veisiejai Manor. The park is proud to be a habitat for the European tree frog, which is the symbol of Veisiejai Regional Park.
Ludwik Lejzer Zamenhof is the creator of the Esperanto language, who moved to Veisiejai in 1885. Zamenhof was born and studied in Poland, he later graduated in Moscow and he visited his brother-in-law at Veisiejai. Here, Zamenhof established his doctor’s practice and restored his manuscript of the Esperanto language, which his father had burned in his childhood. Veisiejai is therefore considered as the birthplace of Esperanto, and a monument featuring a bust of Ludwik Lejzer Zamenhof has been erected in the town’s park.
This 30-metre high ash tree is the true beauty of Veisiejai Manor Park, where it has been growing for more than 200 years. It is the second widest ash tree in Lithuania, with a trunk width of some five metres. In the spring, as the other trees begin to be covered with leaves, this ash tree remains bare. A story tells us that all trees have eyes and are able to see, but the ash tree is blind. Since it is unable to see the nature awakening all around, this 205 year-old tree is the last to grow its leaves.
The Vainežeris defensive fortification, located on the southern shore of Ančia Lake, dates back to the 17th–18th centuries. This fortification is also called Justinava after the nearby Justinavas estate. It is believed that in 1812, the French dug their trenches – or okopkas – in this hill, hence the name Okopka Hill. Today, the park has an interesting tourist trail and large lime trees growing along the paths.
Vainežeris Manor Park is one of the most attractive and most visited sites, not only in the territory of Veisiejai Regional Park, but also in the whole of Lazdijai District. In the 18th century, there was a manor house and its auxiliary buildings situated here, but they were abandoned over time. Now, there is a tourist trail in the park with limes trees growing along the paths.
The town of Veisiejai is located in a very picturesque place – on a peninsula surrounded by Ančia Lake. Veisiejai was first mentioned in written sources from the 18th century. The old part of Veisiejai town consists of the historical centre with a dense network of streets, a square, building fragments, Baroque structures and the Classical architecture of Veisiejai St. George’s Church and Veisiejai Manor.