Veisiejai St. George's Church is a large church that is also known as Dzūkija Cathedral. The church is shaped in Classical and Baroque forms and is full of art monuments. In its crypt there are the tombs of the church’s founders Dukes Tadas and Marija Oginskis, Matas Žynevas, and Viktorija Oginskaitė Žynevienė. Next to the church, a belfry was built which houses the oldest brass bell in the area, cast in 1650.
The town of Veisiejai is located in a very picturesque place – on a peninsula surrounded by Ančia Lake. Veisiejai was first mentioned in written sources from the 18th century. The old part of Veisiejai town consists of the historical centre with a dense network of streets, a square, building fragments, Baroque structures and the Classical architecture of Veisiejai St. George’s Church and Veisiejai Manor.
The Veisiejai Regional Park Visitor Centre has an exhibition titled Life Between the Waters about the 37 bodies of water located in Veisiejai Regional Park – ranging from small streams to lakes. The visitor centre is located in a beautiful historical area, to the right of the former Veisiejai Manor. The park is proud to be a habitat for the European tree frog, which is the symbol of Veisiejai Regional Park.
This 30-metre high ash tree is the true beauty of Veisiejai Manor Park, where it has been growing for more than 200 years. It is the second widest ash tree in Lithuania, with a trunk width of some five metres. In the spring, as the other trees begin to be covered with leaves, this ash tree remains bare. A story tells us that all trees have eyes and are able to see, but the ash tree is blind. Since it is unable to see the nature awakening all around, this 205 year-old tree is the last to grow its leaves.
Ančia is one of the most beautiful lakes in Lithuania. With its long and curved shape, it may remind you of a wide river. Ančia Lake surrounds the town of Veisiejai and the Ilgininkai pine forest, where plenty of mushrooms and berries can be found.
Ludwik Lejzer Zamenhof is the creator of the Esperanto language, who moved to Veisiejai in 1885. Zamenhof was born and studied in Poland, he later graduated in Moscow and he visited his brother-in-law at Veisiejai. Here, Zamenhof established his doctor’s practice and restored his manuscript of the Esperanto language, which his father had burned in his childhood. Veisiejai is therefore considered as the birthplace of Esperanto, and a monument featuring a bust of Ludwik Lejzer Zamenhof has been erected in the town’s park.