Liškiava Mound, also called Raganos mūras and Perkūno šventinyčia, is located in the settlement of Liškiava, on the shores of the Nemunas. Based on the historiographic evidence, the construction of the brick-walled castle of Liškiava began at the beginning of the 15th century before the Battle of Žalgiris, and it remained unfinished. However, there are no direct historical sources that can tell us about it. Looking from the top of the mound, you can see an impressive natural landscape and the remains of a castle tower, as well as the Blessed Trinity Church and Dominican monastery which attract visitors from all over Lithuania and from abroad.
Liškiava is an old village in the Dzūkija Region that is known for its outstanding late-Baroque Blessed Trinity Church and former Dominican monastery. Today, the church is included in the cultural heritage register. Visitors can go on a guided tour of the 17th century church and its crypts where the remains of the Dominican monks rest, as well as seeing a liturgical heritage exhibition.
Liškiava is an old village in the Dzūkija Region, which is known for its Blessed Trinity Church and former Dominican monastery. The 18th century was a period of prosperity for the Liškiava Dominicans, and they built a stone monastery and a church during this time. In 1999, the monastery ensemble was reconstructed and a part of it was transferred to a public organisation. Nowadays, it is a place where conferences and meetings are held. Accommodation can also be provided in the old monastery rooms.
The chronicles of the Teutonic Order mentioned the Castle of Merkenpille for the first time in 1377. It stood on a mound at a confluence of the Merkys, Nemunas and Stangė Rivers. Jogaila, the Grand Duke of Lithuania, visited the castle many times. Here, he gave the Magdeburg rights to the city of Vilnius in 1387. This is one of the most popular and most visited objects in all of Dzūkija. From the mound, you can see a beautiful panoramic view that includes the confluence of the Merkys and Nemunas Rivers as well as the surrounding forests.
The Merkinė Observation Tower is 26 metres high, making it one of the highest observation towers in Lithuania. Climb up to the top to see a marvellous view of the Nemunas Landscape Reserve, the confluence of the Nemunas and Merkys Rivers, Pastraujas Island, Merkinė Bridge and some of Merkinė’s old town. The forests behind the river valley spreading to the horizon are a reminder that the Great Forest of Merkinė once grew here in olden times, where kings and their guests liked to go on hunting trips.